Monday, October 12, 2009

Wow! Another "two fer" day - is that something to be thankful for, or what? (For those of you not citizens of the Great White North, it's Thanksgiving Day here.) Which means that there will be another post later. Oh, boy!

Went to see "Bright Star" last night, and I've got to say that, for all that it's about one of the great (the greatest?) Romantic poets, a man who died of tuberculosis at the ridiculously young age of 25, I found the movie soulless. Maybe it's just my lack of affinity for poetry (love novels and short stories, totally unmoved by poetry), or perhaps Jane Campion's script simply captured all too accurately the 19th century Briton's feeling that emotions should be tamped down at all costs, but, for all the tragedy (and some joy) in the story, I found it impossible to connect to the characters. I could have been watching C-SPAN. Oh, well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home