Monday, July 27, 2009


I'm going to be elsewhere later, when I'd normally be posting, so...

I mentioned (sort of) a couple of weeks ago my apparent fascination with doors, wondering about its origin. Fellow photographer, Tyler Monson (who has two photo blogs, each great - pick 1 or 2) left a comment that explained it all. We both photograph in cities. Oddly enough, there are a lot of doors in cities, so they're kind of inescapable as subject matter. But, of course, there has to be something more.

The other thing that cities are full of is relatively useless, yet totally necessary, empty spaces. Spandrels are one form of these, though spandrels are "artier". Now, again, I could use Tyler's "ubiquity" explanation, but, also again, there has to be something more. Let's face it, most photos on Flickr, etc., are not of doors and useless, vacant spaces.

I'd love to say I've got an answer, but I don't. So far the only ones I've come up with have been either too facile (I'm expressing a perceived (or not) void in my own life) or just too arty (I'm exploring the over-looked aspects of daily existence). The best explanation I can offer is that I like to photograph these things. Sometimes it's for the humour, sometimes the light on surfaces, shapes... It's just "fun". Of course, it could be that I'm just a simpleton.

Which brings up something else. Ever noticed how telling someone you do something because it's "fun" drives them crazy? Why is that?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Tyler said...

The Truth is not to be found on Flickr, grasshopper, so look elsewhere. The public library, or in a decent pint of ale, perhaps.

And no space is truly Empty.

Yerz

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Kent Wiley said...

I've always been drawn to these "empty" spaces. Outside, they get called "wastelands." If no one goes there, then they're that much more attractive.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home