Monday, December 08, 2008


Mark Hobson, of The Landscapist, once opined that there's no such thing as "bad" light, and he's, technically, right. How, after all, can light be bad? But, let me tell you, it sure can be hard to work with sometimes. "Recalcitrant" light, perhaps?

Here in Vancouver at this time of year, the sun is either non-existent or a blazing fireball that barely gets above the horizon, even at not-so-high noon. The light skims across the landscape creating areas of blinding illumination and the blackest of shadows, with very little in between. Were I David Hobby, I'd be clapping my hands with glee at the wonderful opportunities such light presents for getting busy with small flashes, but I ain't. I've just gotten pared down to a G10, so I'm not likely to go carting a lot of strobes and umbrellas around, am I? (Unless, of course, the umbrella can do double duty by fending off rain and modifying light. Hey! How come nobody's making such a thing? It'd sell big here and in Seattle.)

Oh - about the photo. This place is a Vancouver landmark - the M&J Car Wash. It's alternative name is the Convict Car Wash. You'd know why if you could see the guys that work there. Appearances can, of course, be deceiving, and I'm sure they're a bunch of swell, hard-working, honest guys, but...

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home