Sunday, April 20, 2008


Well, at least it's not more sticks, right? In fact, this is Festus Langat, of Kenya, running all by his lonesome in very (trust me - very) cold weather in the annual Vancouver Sun Run. It's a 10k, and he did it in a little over 29 minutes. It was a while after I took this shot before the second-place guy came around the corner. Well, a good 10 seconds, anyway.

And why was I here, you ask, standing on an overpass, freezing my skinny butt off? Well, my friend, Lillian the Librarian, was running her first ever 10k. In fact, until she started the training program in January, I doubt she'd run anytime in the past, oh, um,...well, probably a while. So, I figured I'd find an advantageous spot and try to get her a little souvenir photo of herself. Something for posterity, you know? What a nice guy I am. There was just one little hitch. Um, make that one really big hitch. Or a lot of small, but numerically-overwhelming hitches. 59,179 of them, to be exact. Ever try to pick out one face, from above, from a distance, out of 59,179 sweating, grimacing faces? I didn't think so. Let me tell you, it ain't easy. In fact, it proved to be impossible. I missed her! Now, if only I had an address for Mr. Langat. At least I could send him a souvenir.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home