Monday, March 03, 2008


It must be from being a biologist. That this strikes me as ridiculous, that is. The notion that one's ancestry has anything to do with who one is is, to put it mildly, ludicrous. Provincial, if you'd like a more polite term. My ancestry, on my father's side, is Irish. On my mother's, it's English. Were ancestry destiny, I should be severely schizophrenic (Yeah, yeah - I know - "schizophrenic" doesn't mean "split personality"). Half of me should want to kill the other half.

But, I grew up in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Along with kids whose ancestries were Polish, Italian, Ukranian, French, German... Yep, it was a pretty much European mix, but, again, were ancestry destiny, we all should have been at war. We weren't. Except, maybe, with regard to music. I was Jefferson Airplane oriented.

My DNA is 99.9999999999999% identical to someone of African, Chinese, Russian, Indonesian - you name it - ancestry. Everyone on this planet is descended from someone who originally lived in Africa. Get over it, folks. Where you grew up is who you are.

And, on a sort of tangential connection, another lying dimwit greedhead bites the dust. Outed by her own sister, no less! Where do these people come from? Other than, in this case, a rich, white, Christian neighbourhood, that is. Next week, what do you want to bet, she'll be on "Oprah", tearfully apologizing for her folly. And looking for a new book contract for her "true" memoir, "I'm Another Rich, Dumb Liar Looking for Money by Posing as Someone I'd Never Want to Be in My Worst Nightmare - Someone Poor, That Is.".

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home