Tuesday, December 04, 2007


At last I've gotten a Poverty Wizard set-up for my flashes. "Poverty Wizards", for those of you who might be mystified by the appellation, are cheap radio triggers that let you trigger off-camera flashes. The "real" things are called "PocketWizards". I think the name comes from the way they suck every dime available out of your pocket. My Poverty Wizard set-up, allowing me to trigger two Vivitar flashes - a 285HV and a 283 - cost me all of $60.00 (rounding). To accomplish the same goal with PocketWizards would have cost me just under - are you ready? - $900.00. U.S.! Excuse me? Yes, they're more reliable and have a greater range, but, um, 15x more reliability? 15x more range?

The sad thing about having this new technology at my disposal is having to learn to use it. Want to know something? Those folks who get paid big bucks for their photographic skills are worth every penny. Setting up effective, pleasing (flattering, in the case of portraits) lighting ain't easy! It's not impossible, but, it's going to take work. Darn.

Hit the "Strobist" link if you're interested in this kind of thing.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home