Thursday, June 01, 2006


Since I've drifted away from my intention of making this mainly a photography thing, I'll try briefly to get back to it.

I'm kicking myself now for losing the source of this quote: "I take photographs to see what things look like when they're photographed". For that matter, the "quote" is probably inaccurate, as far as the exact wording goes. The attitude expressed, however, is accurate. It might have been William Eggleston who said it. I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

It sums up (as you might have guessed) my motivation for taking pictures. When I started, over 25 years ago, I found that taking pictures opened the world up to me. Because I was looking for photographs, I started seeing more and more of the details around me. Life got a lot more interesting. To me, at least.

Now, virtually all of my pictures are of things, but that's because I'm very shy and I'm loath to ask someone if I can take their picture (to say nothing of simply taking it, whether they like it or not). But that doesn't mean that I'm not looking at them in the same way I'm looking at the rest of the world. For people, I suppose, the photos are all in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home